Eligibility for Field of Honour
Oromocto Pioneer Gardens Cemetery Company Inc. (OPGCCI) has designated a section of the cemetery to honour those who have served in the Military, Law Enforcement, Firefighting Services and First Responders.
- Military - All serving or retired (honourably discharged) members of the Canadian or Allied Forces, both Regular and Reserve Forces.
- Law Enforcement - All serving or retired (honourably discharged or equivalent) members of the RCMP, Provincial or Municipal Police forces.
- Firefighting Services - All serving or retired (honourably discharged or equivalent) firefighters, including part-time and volunteer firefighters.
- First Responders – All serving or retired (honourably discharged or equivalent) paramedics.
Note: Applications from individuals who fall outside these definitions will be discussed and considered on an individual basis by the Board of Directors of OPGCCI.
- In all cases, eligibility and proof of service must be verified at the time of application. Staff of OPGCCI will photocopy this proof and it will be maintained on our files.
- There is a limitation of three interments permitted for each service member. This applies to either niche or plot interments.
- Two immediate family members may also be interred in the same columbarium niche or plot as the member. An immediate family member is defined as a spouse, common-law partner, child, parent, brother, sister, or any other person as designated by the veteran.
- Burial Plots. Each plot may contain EITHER a casket and a maximum of two urns OR a maximum of three urns. If it is the intent to have two casket burials, two plots must be purchased. If this option is chosen, an additional urn may be interred in only one of the plots in order to remain within the limitation outlined in 3.b. above.
- In the event of a catastrophic event involving a member, spouse and dependent children, the estate executor may apply for an exception to the limit of three interments. All applications will be assessed and reviewed by the Board of Directors of OPGCCI.
- All niches in the Field of Honour will accommodate two average-sized urns. The exceptions are the tower units in Columbarium units 2 and 3, which will accommodate three urns. Urn sizes will vary so it is the responsibility of the Rights Holders to ensure the urn(s) purchased will fit in their niches.
- Niches and plots must be purchased by the veteran or his/her designate. If it is the intent to have two casket burials, two plots must be purchased. If a spouse or designate passes first, that person cannot be interred without a second plot being purchased for the veteran.
Date: 14 August 2019
Doug Wright, President